Friday 3 January 2014

Evaluation Draft

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of
real media products?


.I researched other magazines to find out typical conventions of a music magazine, this included looking at covers, contents and article pages. I looked at many different styles of music magazines when undergoing this task such as ‘Top Of The Pops’, ‘NME’ and ‘Kerrang’ however I wanted to base my own magazine mostly on ‘Q’. I used interesting images like ‘Q’, a similar colour scheme and layout (especially my front cover and contents). I looked at cover page from the issue of Cheryl Cole and took ideas from this real life media product. I liked the idea of having a list of bands on one side and sell lines on the other with the artist in the middle so the main focus is on her. The facial expression of Vanessa also captures the audience’s attention as does Cheryl’s pose in ‘Q’ therefore I think this is a way of my own magazine developing these types of conventions.  However, unlike ‘Q’ my masthead is placed across the entire top part of the page instead of just in the corner as this may have not looked professional because my magazine name wasn’t an acronym such as ‘Q’. I also felt having the main sell line of my artist present on the cover of my magazine at the bottom in a large font was ideal and many other magazines take on this type of approach therefore it must be successful. This is a way to advertise the feature article in the magazine, persuading people to buy and read it.

 Looking at the front cover of my magazine, I feel it is clear to tell what type of music genre my product will include by the image used and the style fonts I also presented. I feel using a rough and edgy type of font for my masthead will make it clear to my audience that this music magazine will include an alternative indie genre of music because of its unique look. As many magazines include plain and usual looking mastheads and hardly ever include interesting fonts, this is a way I challenge forms and conventions of typical magazines you see printed on shelves. This could also be used as a unique selling point of my magazine as people may be persuaded to buy it because of its fresh and interesting look. As for the image, I have used a mid-shot of Vanessa as I feel this went better with the overall layout of my cover instead of using close up images like many other music magazines.

On my contents page, I also feel like I used the most appropriate codes and conventions of a typical contents page by going ahead with a structured layout set out in columns with other normally smaller images to display what the audience are expected to read about in the magazine. My page numbers are also presented on each image so if the reader likes the look of one particular picture, they can go there straight away to find out what the page will be about. This makes it easy and simple for my audience as perhaps they won’t have time to read the entire content of the magazine. Another convention that makes it easier for the reader is indeed the headings for each type of page – for my magazine these were ‘On The Cover’, ‘Regulars’ and ‘Features’. These work for both new and existing consumers of my magazine as if they normally purchase the magazine and are looking for a page that they enjoy reading they can find it in the ‘Regulars’ however new interviews and other exciting articles will be under the ‘Features’ heading. Of course, at the top of the page I have included the magazine’s name as well as the issue number. However instead of simply writing ‘contents’, I have written ‘What’s Inside’. I feel this is a better explanation of what this specific page is about instead of vaguely writing ‘contents’ as this is boring and unoriginal. I want to keep my audience interested in order to keep them reading my magazine so they can go and buy it again. I also have included subscription details and information as this is another way to persuade my audience to continue purchasing my product for a better value and price, bringing in a wider audience. This supplies them with information to contact the magazine which I feel is vital for every magazine. Again it typically presents my music genre by the type of images I have used. Of course, I have used an image of my main artist in my feature article as she is a main aspect of this issue as well as other artists and venues. My image I have placed on my contents page is again an interesting photo of Vanessa because of her pose, hair and outfit and links to the alternative indie genre because of is interesting look. The fact she is wearing black also makes it clear this isn’t a type of pop magazine as pop artists tend to wear bright and colourful colours especially in pop magazines. The colour black is a type of symbolic sign that represents fear and evil, concluding that my magazine's genre will in fact be a type of edgy indie sound - not sweet and girly like pop music. I have also included an editor’s note as I feel this personally addresses the reader and makes the entire feel of the magazine friendlier as well as giving the reader a summary of what is inside. I have also used social media as I way of involving my audience and developing the typical forms and conventions of a successful fresh magazine. Again I have used the same house-style throughout and have based my contents page on ‘Q’, mostly down to the layout and appearance.


On my first double page spread I have simply used a large image of my model with a pull quote on the right hand side. I feel using this type of layout to begin my feature article is successful as it grabs the reader’s full attention and makes them want to find out more about the artist as all they know at this stage is what she looks like and a quote she has said in the interview. I also feel that starting with a double spread with hardly any text makes the article look more appealing, again persuading my audience to read on so they can find out more.
(include page numbers when I add them)

On my next double page spread, I have started with a short brief paragraph summarising my artist to fully introduce her to the reader. As my artist is new I feel it is appropriate to include this type of introduction to make the fans intrigued enough to read her story as well as making her sound very interesting and successful. I also made this piece of text bold and in red to make it stand out from the rest of the text on the page. Again, my image dominates the page like many other features in magazines as typically the image is always the main aspect. This time I have used a close up image, allowing the reader to focus on what she looks like plus I think the particular image I used shows off her make-up, giving her a more professional music artist look. As I have used three columns on one page to present my text, I feel as if this follows the standard codes and conventions of any magazine. The use of my pull quote separates the text to avoid my magazine looking too plain and lets the reader get a taster of what the artist is like and what the interview will include. I have used the same colour scheme to give my magazine a specific feel and to make it more recognisable for the reader. The type of text I have included such as the swearing 'if they like it and even go on to purchase my music then that's fucking awesome' goes against the hegenomic norm of how artists are supposed to be role models for young teenagers. However, in this case I think it was acceptable as the genre of music my artist normally sings would typically be aimed at older readers.


 For my final double page spread I used a variety of different images at the top part of my pages, going across both. I presented these in different colours – some in full colour and some in black and white to again make my magazine look more original and unique, challenging the normal conventions of music magazines as the images they include are normally only presented in one type of colour (e.g. only in full colour or only in black and white). However ‘Q’ sometimes tends to include black and white images as they can look more simple yet effective. I used a total of five images of my artist as during the production of my magazine I found it hard to decide on which photos to use therefore for my last double page spread, I wanted to include as many as possible. The images I have used for this page also include photos of Vanessa wearing a t-shirt with the word ‘music’ on. This links back to the type of magazine mine is and again makes it clear to the reader. I have also included a box out text, displaying the artist’s own opinions on other bands in the same genre. Many magazines use this therefore I thought it was appropriate as a way of again separating the text, adding more variety to the page and presenting the indie music genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment